The St. Andrew's Society of the State of New York has provided over 190 scholarships to promote cultural interchange and goodwill between Scotland and the United States since 1956.
Candidates should possess the qualifications which will enable them to be good ambassadors for the United States while in Scotland. The basis for selection shall include the following:
- Academic achievement
- Extracurricular activities
- Financial need
- Statement of personal objectives
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Senior undergraduate students who will obtain a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the Spring semester and can demonstrate the significance of studying in Scotland
- Proof of application to their selected school will be required for finalists
- Proof of US citizenship
- Some Scottish descent
Candidates must reside or attend school within 250 miles of New York State
Preference will be given to candidates who have not previously studied in the United Kingdom
Only one applicant shall be considered from each institution per year. To apply for nomination, click "Start Your Application" and complete all application materials before the internal deadline. Letters of recommendation should be submitted directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the internal deadline.
It is the scholarship committee's practice to invite six finalists to a luncheon in New York City during February or early March. Following this meeting, two of these finalists will be awarded a scholarship for graduate study in Scotland.