Attend the Advanced Russian Language and Area Studies Program (RLASP) supported by the American Councils Study Abroad during the summer to maximize linguistic and cultural immersion into Russian society. Program participants have the option to live in a university dormitory or with a host family. You are required to have two semesters of college-level Russian prior to departure.
All programs feature approximately twenty hours per week of in-class instruction; roughly sixteen hours of which are dedicated to Russian-language study. You are placed according to proficiency level in groups of three-to-five for language classes. Course work typically includes classes in phonetics, grammar, and conversation, as well as composition, oral comprehension, and reading. Language courses also cover topics in literature, history, politics, culture, mass media, and area studies.
Please note that if the program provide internships as an additional opportunity, credit is unable to be transferred back to Columbia University.
RLASP is currently offered in the following locations:
- Moscow International University in Moscow, Russia
- Russian State Pedagogical University (Herzen Institute) in St. Petersburg, Russia
- KORA Center for Russian Language in Vladimir, Russia
Many former Columbia University students have had successful experiences in Moscow and St. Petersburg.
Review eligibility to ensure that you meet all Columbia requirements to study abroad.
Review the external program webpage to understand any additional program prerequisites. Note the program language requirements.
To apply, you must complete the two steps below. Deadlines vary and some applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, you should complete the steps below simultaneously:
- To apply for Columbia clearance (approval) to study abroad, click on "Start Your Application" on this webpage. Clearance applications are approved by the OGP on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.
- To apply for program admission, complete an external application directly on the program webpage. Note that this deadline may be in advance of the Columbia clearance deadline.