Study the social impacts of climate change through the political economy of food, water, and energy in some of the world’s most productive and vulnerable landscapes. This program examines the interconnections between the economics, politics, geography, and science of climate change and its effects on human society.
As a student in the SIT: IHP Climate Change: The Politics of Food, Water, and Energy program, you must work closely with your academic department to ensure that the academic focus of this program is a good fit for the work you are undertaking at Columbia University. You must show clear academic interest in the topic to be considered eligible for this program.
You take four courses throughout the semester:
- Political Economy and Environmental History: 1492 to the Present
- Comparative Issues in Food and Water
- Science and Policy of Climate Change
- Fieldwork Ethics and Comparative Research Methods
You live with a host family for several weeks at each program site. Homestays are the primary form of accommodation on the program; other accommodations can include guest houses, hostels, dormitories, and/or small hotels.
The program visits four different locations throughout the semester that sometimes change every semester. Most recently, the program has been located in the following countries: Bolivia, Morocco, Vietnam and the United States.
Review eligibility to ensure that you meet all Columbia requirements to study abroad.
Review the external program webpage to understand any additional program prerequisites.
To apply, you must complete the two steps below. Deadlines vary and some applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, you should complete the steps below simultaneously:
- To apply for Columbia clearance (approval) to study abroad, click on "Start Your Application" on this webpage. Clearance applications are approved on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.
- To apply for program admission, complete an external application directly on the program webpage. Note that this deadline may be in advance of the Columbia clearance deadline.
- This is a popular program and tends to fill prior to the application deadline. You are encouraged to start an application on the program’s website as soon as you can and complete it prior to the deadline.