The IHP: Health and Community: Globalization, Culture and Care program enables you to learn how communities around the world understand and strive for health and well-being. This program strengthens your ability to understand, interpret, and compare the socio-cultural, ecological, economic, political, and biological factors that affect human health.
You take four courses throughout the semester:
- Health, Culture, and Community
- Globalization and Health
- Public Health: From Biology to Policy
- Community Health Research Methods
The program travels to four different countries with the itinerary changing depending on the semester. There are two "tracks" per semester (for a total of four "tracks" per year) that have the same coursework but travel to different locations, so consider each one prior to applying. Review the SIT IHP website for the most up-to-date information. In the past, tracks have included:
- Brazil, India, South Africa, United States
- Argentina, South Africa, United States and Vietnam
Homestays are the primary form of accommodation on the program; other accommodations can include guest houses, hostels, dormitories, and/or small hotels.
Review eligibility to ensure that you meet all Columbia requirements to study abroad.
Review the external program webpage to understand any additional program prerequisites.
To apply, you must complete the two steps below. Deadlines vary and some applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, you should complete the steps below simultaneously:
- To apply for Columbia clearance (approval) to study abroad, click on "Start Your Application" on this webpage. Clearance applications are approved by the OGP on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.
- To apply for program admission, complete an external application directly on the program webpage. Note that this deadline may be in advance of the Columbia clearance deadline.
- This is a popular program and tends to fill prior to the application deadline. You are encouraged to start an application on the program’s website as soon as you can and complete it prior to the deadline.