In this comparative study abroad program based in Buenos Aires, you will rapidly improve your Spanish while exploring the current economic and social realities of a number of countries. You will have the chance to discuss similarities and differences of the countries while delving into important transnational and regional processes.
Lectures encompass each country's political and economic history, while looking at social issues for a deeper understanding on educational excursions. Field visits cover issues such as alternative development, participatory democracy, grassroots movements and cultural identity.
Major topics of study include:
- Transnationalism and regional processes
- Development and social change
- Research Methods and Ethics
- Independent Study Project (ISP)
The ISP gives students the unique opportunity to apply their learning from the last semester in an independent field based research project supervised by a local adviser.
SIT believes that you are able to learn from experiencing, and with that in mind, you will participate in a variety of educational excursions to locations throughout Latin America. Example locations include: Roasario, Argentina; Porto Alegre, Brazil; Asuncion, Paraguay or Montevideo, Uruguay among others.
Because of the mobile nature of the program you will stay in a combination of homestay and small hotels or hostels. The homestay in Buenos Aires will last for a majority of the term abroad.
Review eligibility to ensure that you meet all Columbia requirements to study abroad.
Review the external program webpage to understand any additional program prerequisites. Note the program language requirements.
To apply, you must complete the two steps below. Deadlines vary and some applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, you should complete the steps below simultaneously:
- To apply for Columbia clearance (approval) to study abroad, click on "Start Your Application" on this webpage. Clearance applications are approved by the OGP on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.
- To apply for program admission, complete an external application directly on the program webpage. Note that this deadline may be in advance of the Columbia clearance deadline.